Natalie and Aaron's Amazing Eggplant Sliders
It is once again that time of year when people are harvesting veggies from their garden, and I don’t know about you, but for me sometimes it’s hard to decide what to do with all that fresh produce! Obviously you eat it, but from time to time it's nice to try new recipes. A fellow Territorial Seed Company employee had me over for dinner and on the menu was Eggplant Sliders. I made sure to bring something along for dinner as well because (I won’t lie to you) I had never had eggplant before. Well, there was no need for the dish that I brought and this is definitely the way to eat eggplant. They are so yummy! You can just pick one up and chomp into it like a slice of pizza.
2 large eggplants
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 cups bread crumbs (I like the Italian ones for this but you can use plain)
Dash of milk
Dash of hot sauce
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Oil for frying (I prefer either coconut or veggie oil for this)
(These are the toppings I used. You can of course use any topping you'd like.)
Broiled tomato slices (Slice tomatoes about ¼" thick. Arrange on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Broil until just charred)
1. Heat oil in an appropriate pan for frying
2. Cut eggplants into 1/2” thick round slices
3. Mix together flour, salt, and pepper in a medium-sized bowl
4. Mix together eggs with a dash of milk and hot sauce in a separate medium-sized bowl
5. Pour bread crumbs into a third medium-sized bowl
6. Dip each eggplant round into the flour mixture, then egg mixture, then flour again, and then press into the breadcrumbs and make sure each side is thoroughly coated
7. Fry eggplant rounds until golden brown on each side
8. Place slices on a cooling rack on a baking sheet
9. Top with pesto, a generous amount of fresh mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, and the sliced tomatoes
10. Serve and enjoy!
Authors: Mel R. & Natalie J.